Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Count Down to 12/21/12

Some of you may have noticed that I placed a counter in the side bar that is counting down the days until December 21, 2012. This date was determined by many ancient peoples--The Mayans, Egyptians, Hopi Indians, Chinese, Nostradamus, and Merlin the magician (there was a real Merlin) to name a few of the more well known, as a time of major change in the earth's existence. I do not believe my list of people who noted this date is exhaustive nor do I claim to have thourough knowledge of the possibilities that exist. Here I simply outline some of the information I have read and do find quite interesting.

The basic finding of each of these people groups revolves around a solar calendar system that they were able to accurately use to determine dates and future events such as eclipses and solstices. The common theme amongst these groups, who had no contact with one another at any point, was that there would be major shifts or changes in the world system as it is known around or on 12/21/12. The reason for this expectation is based on the alignment of the sun, earth, and the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time in (need to fact check this) over 5,000 years. It is a repetitive cycle, just not very often.

So what, if anything, do I think this means. I'm not completely sure. No doubt if this came up in the last 30 years from a brilliant scientist or religious leader I would easily write it off as nonsense. However, given the overwhelming similarity in the nature of the reporting amongst the various groups and the fact that modern science can confirm that their findings were correct, I am inclined to pay more attention to possibilities and opportunities that may result from any potential changes in our way of life or the earth we live on. In other words, the very rare alignment of the earth, sun, and Milk Way that will take place in December of 2012 leads me to not want to turn a blind eye to these studies.

From what I have read so far, there seems to be a consensus that this is not an apocalyptic, end or the world scenario, but more an end of the world as we know it. What could that mean? Some scientist go as far as to think that there will be major polar shifts caused by increased solar flares and the passage of another object very close to the earth. These shifts will cause massive earthquakes and volcanoes that will ultimately leave the face of the earth altered from its current form. Others think there will be a change in the overall mentality of the people; a movement away from materialism, greed, and wastefulness. These people think their will be a great awakening of human consciousness that will cause humanity to live peacefully and with greater health. A third thought that I have seen involves the collapse of the economic and political structures that govern the world today as we know it. In this scenario there may be some of the changes listed in both of the above suggestions, but the most significant change will be a return to a more rugged and difficult life for the people in the west. We're talking no more gas, no more grocery stores, grow your own food, build your own shelter; pioneer type skills will be required.

Will any of this happen? Who knows. Do I want to continue to learn more about what the ancient cultures discovered and what the potential meaning of these findings could be? You bet. I've posted the clock as a reminder to myself that I have a limited amount of time to investigate this and make decisions. In the meantime, I will keep you updated as I discover more and please feel free to drop any links that you find that are useful on this subject.

2 comments:

  1. Did you see this trailer?

    http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/2012/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not, until now. Looks pretty interesting and with a pretty good cast. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete