Saturday, March 14, 2009

Life Musings of a Temporarily Sick Man

Thoughts I wrote last year while suffering from the flu. I think you can almost "hear" the fevor in my thought process. But, I just found this and thought it would be worth sharing.

Life, having patterns and seasons, is more cyclical than linear. The statement seemed to make sense, but the more I thought about it I wondered, “Could life be a cycle of events or circumstances? Do I really face the same things over and over?” It does seem reasonable given the fact that I face the same types of illness every year (colds, allergies, occasional flu), struggle with the same ideals, wrestle with the same sins, and have similar experiences during special holidays. In fact, even the church follows a religious calendar that is intended to yearly remind me of the significant aspects of my faith: Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, and Pentecost. Each season reminds me of God’s story and interaction with humanity throughout the ages.

If I can broadly apply this principle to seasons in life could I use it to forecast what to expect in life just as I generally know summer will be hotter than winter? Is it possible to determine times of the year when I will be likely more depressed, healthier, more in touch with my emotions, more eager to serve, less generous, more adventurous? If I can forecast this, could I adjust my yearly goals and expectations to fit reasonably well with the cycles of life?

For example, every fall the weather starts to get nicer, people start to get into more of a routine, the holidays are coming, and I hunger for one last adventure before the year’s end. Thus, we try to travel over Thanksgiving. Before the New Year I like to be quiet and thoughtful, accounting for the year and for the longings God is placing within me. I have a list of books and a routine of finishing my journal and then reviewing it during the last week of the year. I should plan to not travel then, stay away from most difficult relationships, and keep to myself. Every spring, as the weather begins to warm, I am eager to get outside. I want to exercise and enjoy nature. Simultaneously, I almost always get sick during the major temperature changes. Could I predict my next major cold and avoid making strenuous plans during that time?

When will I be most depressed during the year? Not November or December, probably not October, nor April, May or June. If I had to guess it would be August and January. These are the slowest times of the year for my job and the most extreme temperatures in my climate. I feel unnecessary at my job and miserable physically and because of the holidays before January and all of the travel I do in July. I am physically least in shape, have no diet plan, and have been with a higher number of people in the previous weeks during the months of January and August.

No comments:

Post a Comment